What are the Critical Skills of a High-performing Leader?
It is important for a high-performing leader to possess the traits and characteristics of a responsible and successful leader. Over a period of time, with learning and practice, one develops their leadership skills. The following are some of the critical skills that a high potential leader needs to possess to help transform their leadership style.
- Ability to Communicate effectively: Communication is a key factor when it comes to managing a team. Communication establishes transparency and ensures clarity among the team members. It is essential for a team leader to communicate well both ways – with the team as well as encourage participants to speak up and share their thoughts.
- Ability to Manage time efficiently: It is only natural for challenges and obstacles to interfere with meeting deadlines. Good time management ensures easy planning and organisation of work which in turn helps the leader prepare for an unexpected crisis. A good leader builds in time regular slots for developing strategies.
- Ability to Engage and Empower: A successful leader takes it upon themselves to make the team participate and engage in decision-making. This empowerment helps in increasing the sense of both their individual and collective commitment towards the work and the organisation.
- Ability to Enhance and Coach: An important part of being a leader is also being a coach. Facilitating professional enhancement of the team members not only helps in improving their performance but also helps in boosting their mental health and developing long-term work dedication.
- Ability to Manage Conflict: Conflicts at the workplace can disrupt communication and team interaction. It is very important for the leader to take up conflict management on a daily basis and establish efficient communication between team members.
- Ability to manage Emotions: When challenges occur they can trigger negativity and things can be quite overwhelming emotionally. Having a composed approach towards challenging situations helps the leader save time and keep up the motivation of the team, regardless of the situation.
- Ability to manage Processes: Optimising process management is one of the most important skills that a leader needs to ensure seamless deliverables. This helps in creating ownership and transforming the strategy to meet the vision of the organisation.
- Ability to manage Change and Innovation: Progress involves risk-taking. A true leader possesses the skill to take up new innovations regardless of the risk factors in order to make an impactful change and innovate the impact of the business.
- Ability to Lead by example: Above all, a truly successful leader leads by example. They walk the talk and inspire the team members to perform to the best of their abilities. The ultimate goal of leadership is to be the change you want to see in the organisation.
Observe and enhance your skills so that you can perform at the best of your abilities. With some practice and perseverance you will improve your critical skills as a Leader.
What are some of the critical skills shared here that you already possess as a leader?